Author Topic: [IDEA] Mentalist  (Read 1766 times)

.:.FK.:.DiGGaBoON.:.

• View Profile
[IDEA] Mentalist
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:06 AM »
Hi folks,

I think everyone knows or has heard of the TV series "The Mentalist" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_mentalist)
(EDIT: "Mentalist - memoryartist, hypnotist, suggestionartist, master of manipulation of thoughts and behaviour")
I don't want to go too much into detail of the series, so just a quick rundown of my ideas for his skills:

1. Confuse
Trick your enemy's eyes.
Any of those effects, that change the players view, like shaking screen, changing view angles, rotate view, whatever, maybe a random pick of all of them, 5/15/25/35% chance on hit?

2. Meditation (ability)
Rely on your peace of mind and willpower.
Channeling ability, while key is pressed the player stays still not able to interact (move, shoot, look around) and closing his eyes (like the "blind" effect, black screen), regenerating 1/2/3/4 HP per sec? either 0 or max 5 sec cooldown.

3. Future View
You know the next steps of your enemy.
When hitting an enemy there is a 50% chance, that you can track the enemy for 2/4/6/8 seconds (visible on radar, see him through walls like wallhack, beacon around him?)

4.1 Abracadabra (ultimate)
Master of Magic.
You teleport directly behind your enemy (no range restriction), but are not able to shoot for 2/1,5/1/0,5 seconds. the own direction of view is not changed (no automatic aim at enemy; just like the human teleport but teleport location is directly behind the enemy) 20 sec cooldown

4.2 Abracadabra (ultimate)
Master of Magic.
You change location with your enemy (no range restriction), both directions of view are not changed both players still aim at the direction they aimed at before the change of positions, enemy is not able to shoot for 0,5/1/1,5/2 seconds afterwards. 20 sec cooldown

4.3 Lisbon (ultimate) [annotation: Teresa Lisbon is the mentalist's "boss", a well trained special agent, the mentalist often gets into dangerous situations and then calls for her to help him]
Call for help
Inflict 20/30/40/50 damage, no range restriction, 20 sec cooldown.

I wrote down 3 ultimates, cause all ideas sound pretty cool. (i like the second the most =))
I hope you understand my description of the skills. If not feel free to ask. Feel free to discuss.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:17:57 AM by .:.FK.:.DiGGaBoON.:. »

Vulpone

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [IDEA] Mentalist
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
Hello,

firstly, I like the idea. I believe 35% chance to shake or somewhat distort the enemy is a little to high. I believe 20% would be best (maxed). I don't know how the others think about that, but I think that's a little more balanced (in the end, it's just a value..).

Secondly, to anyone willing to make this, check out http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=135788 for the radar skill.
Haven't tested it yet, but I trust javalia..You know what to do. Again, have not tested it, but I will soon.
However, if that does not work, simply track him and send a TE to the client.

Thirdly, my question: is it possible to track if a client is holding the button down, ie pressing down e for 5 seconds? If so, I'd LOVE to know about it, as it would enhance some of my personal ideas.

Personally, I think ultimate two is nice, but if I were to make it, I'd use ultimate one. Simply because it's more fair to the other player (the one you switch with.)
Also, think about using a sound or a subtle TE so it's not too overpowered.

Other than that, sweet. If no one creates it, I will. I'm really bored right now, so what the hay.

Cheers
Sapere aude!

.:.FK.:.DiGGaBoON.:.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
Thx for your reply =)

Of course, the values/names/descriptions or even the functionality are only brief ideas and can be changed for balance or cosmetic issues. If the race is well balanced it hopefully gets packaged, too ;)
Nice to hear that you like the race and are willing to code it if noone else does. I'd love to test it. (If I knew how to code races I would do so on my own, but unfortunately I'm too lazy to learn it right now :p)

EDIT:
Some new ideas for the skills:

-Change "Confuse" to "Hypnosis", don't distort the enemy but let him(and only him) see 1/2/3/4 models of the enemy (doubleteam from pokémon (sorry, didnt find a better comparison))

-Meditation is quite similar to the Shadow Hunters regeneration, which is 1/2/3/4 HP per sec anytime, so it might be underpowered, if the mentalist needs to stand still etc. Maybe give the mentalist a constant regeneration (1/2/3/4) and improve it to 3/4/5/6 while using the ability (= stand still, no interaction, "blind")

just some thoughts of mine
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:27:29 AM by .:.FK.:.DiGGaBoON.:. »

Glider⠠⠵

• Global Moderator
  • ⠠⠵
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
Thirdly, my question: is it possible to track if a client is holding the button down, ie pressing down e for 5 seconds? If so, I'd LOVE to know about it, as it would enhance some of my personal ideas.

OnUltimate and OnAbility both have a pressed parameter. When the button is activated the event fires with pressed = true, when the player lets go of the button the event is fired again with pressed = false. Simply make a global array of bool and store the info is the player is holding down the button there. Then you have a timer that constantly checks if the button is held down, yadda yadda.

Same thing for other keys using OnPlayerRunCmd or OnGameFrame() + GetClientButtons