Author Topic: Trouble Installing War3Source on Gameservers  (Read 558 times)

Circleofice

• View Profile
Trouble Installing War3Source on Gameservers
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
Ok so I decided to go ahead and purchase a Gameservers server.

Right now I have gone to the options and made sure it has the metamod and sourcemod fullly updated like it says in the wiki as you can see here: http://i.imgur.com/FoEMnYu.jpg

And I can change the config of the server using the .cfg files etc. like you can see here: http://i.imgur.com/hRGX3k3.jpg

Now I need to start adding the folders like it says in the wiki, plugin etc. But I cannot see a place to upload files easily.

Am I required to setup an FTP to upload the files to the server? Or what is the next step that allows me to add the files?

Many thanks, I'm a bit of a novice at this but trying to learn xD

iceman

• View Profile
Re: Trouble Installing War3Source on Gameservers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:50:50 PM »
I would stay away from gameservers mod installers. https://wiki.alliedmods.net/Installing_SourceMod

El Diablo

• View Profile
    • War3Evo
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »
I could help you install a game server, and it would cost you so much less than Gameservers.

It's like $5 per month for a TF2 server, or $10 per month for CSGO....  https://clientarea.ramnode.com/aff.php?aff=1227

Unlike gameservers, you are paying for a real server that you have complete access to.  You can have the maximum of any game much as the RAM you rent from the services.  For what I recommend will get either a 32 player TF2 server or a CSGO server with whatever the max players it can support..  CSS will run great on the 512mb version too.

I recommend the 512mb [Premium] OpenVZ SSD for the TF2 server and the 1024mb [Premium] OpenVZ SSD for the CSGO server.

Just know, doing it this way means you handle all the installation process and everything about the server...but it is well worth your time to learn as it will save you so much money.

I can help you by steam, email, what ever at no cost.  To help you save money.  I personally hate Gameservers.

Otherwise, if you don't mind paying for convenience.. Go right ahead with them.

Ramnodes are so much better than Gameservers.  If you ever plan to run more than a few servers go with OVH.  They have the best DDOS protection.  But that is big time stuff, and you will need time to learn running a real server instead of someone else doing it all for you.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:35:13 PM by El Diablo »

Circleofice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:56:44 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!

After Iceman's comment I think I realised that the auto-install on Gameservers isn't actually installing the whole of Sourcemod etc. because there are only 4 files in the folder.

So i'll look to install it manually, thanks!.

Worked out how to use fireftp etc. now, So I had a little bit of a go with trial and error.

Thanks again for the offer Diablo, but I already just purchased a smaller slot server on Gameservers, and I think for London ping, it is ~5 for me, rather than 20~ on the NL server you have linked, so the price is not so much an issue.

I'm really just doing it to learn how to do it in a small server for now, as it's something I've been thinking about for many years now, and I may have some free time soon :)

I don't really have plans for multiple servers at the moment.

Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:58:15 AM by Circleofice »

El Diablo

• View Profile
    • War3Evo
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »
The real learning is when you SSH to a server, and use Linux manually to completely install the server yourself.

I'm not sure if gameservers allows it, but in the past they only allowed FTP connections.  This suggests you do not have full control over your server and your totally relying on them if anything goes wrong.

If you want the full pleasure of setting up a server via Linux.  You will need SSH access and be able to create users, change the IP Tables, have full Root access, be able to install any Linux addon, create .sh scripts, be able to chmod all files, upgrade Linux, change how Linux boots,  Login into SSH as any user you create, login sftp, add MYSQL (requires a server with enough RAM if you want MYSQL), apt-get install screen so that your server can run in the background, so many things.

The only thing your learning with Gameservers is the files you need to have to install a game server and which files in that install to change.  In no way can you really say you can manage a game server as Gameservers.com does all the managing for you.

Request SSH Root access, and if they give it to you.. Then wow Gameservers has changed.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:20:44 AM by El Diablo »