Author Topic: Help: Creating a weekly race  (Read 987 times)

Remy Lebeau

• View Profile
Help: Creating a weekly race
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
I'm thinking of create a race with a bunch of levels (a few hundred), with fairly basic, but fun skills that are always active at every level.

Then create a system that once a week checks who has the highest level on that race, and gives some sort of reward (a few levelbanks maybe) and then resets the levels. We'd also keeps track of who won / how many wins they have.  We can then create some sort of tally/leaderboard in game (or even have it announce that person A has won X amount of times when they join the server).

I'm after some ideas as to the best way of going about this.

Specifically, how to do the race resetting bit, and race checking.  I feel like the only real option is to manage the sql data directly, rather than being able to use any of the w3s natives.

I guess I'd have to do something like:

1) Get a list of players with levels in this race, sorted, pull of the top item = winner
2) Clear that entry for every player

Anyone got a better/simpler solution?

Remy Lebeau

• View Profile
Re: Help: Creating a weekly race
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »
I thought about making it possible that players can "earn levelbanks".

The player would have to have a max level race.   When the player earns enough xp that if that race had another level, they would level it up, but instead they get a levelbank and it would reset their xp earned so that they could do it again.

We thought about a similar system a while ago, the downside of that is that it actively encourages people to play maxed races, and so would pretty much spam the higher powered ones to earn levelbanks to dump into crappier races.