Author Topic: [SPHINX] First Race Need Approval  (Read 3645 times)

Sphinx

• View Profile
[SPHINX] First Race Need Approval
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
I had just got done creating my FIRST RACE. I had compiled it and there were very few errors and they have been fixed. I have no way to test it out (Don't know how) So if someone can give me an Approval , and some knowledge on how to test future (Projects/Races) that would be great!
Thanks guys!
                                  -Caleb
P.S. I am sending compiled version.

Sphinx

• View Profile
Re: [SPHINX] First Race Need Approval
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
Just recompiled and now errors are popping up. When i compiled it last time it had said "Already compiled" with no errors does that mean i didnt save that copy? let me go through all of the copy's i made to my desktop and see which is "working."

Remy Lebeau

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »
Need the translations file in order to compile it ...

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:32:50 PM »
Im new to that so can you send me a link or break what that means down please.

Revan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:52:23 AM »
That race is extremly poorly (copied/)coded race. Learn basic SourcePawn first before coding W3S stuff.
#war3source on gamesurge

Ownz

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • chmod -R 777 *
    • View Profile
    • OwnageClan
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:44:39 AM »
That race is extremly poorly (copied/)coded race. Learn basic SourcePawn first before coding W3S stuff.

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
Yeah as I had said it was my first one. I had followed the Ownz guide some where in the fourms and started that. And the skills I wanted to use those certain skill(s) so i had copyed them to the best of my ability. If you guys mind can you edit the part i messed up and leave a comment on what i did wrong and how you fixed that? That would be really great and nice if you guys could do that. Hope to hear from you guy's soon!

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
And I thought it was completely fixed of bugs. And when iwas reading the guide i saw That i should be Recompileing it because when i just compiled it said it "already been compiled" so let me send you guys the new copy w/o errors.

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »
I am pretty sure this is the fixed one after i found out about recompiling tell me if it is any better. (*If you can also include the 2^^ replys above that would be great!)

Remy Lebeau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »
Hi Sphinx,

I don't think you're going to find people willing to fix your race for you.  This is the bit where you are supposed to be able to code!  If you have specific questions/problems, I'm more than happy to add my suggestions, but recoding/commenting an entire race is a bit much.

Furthermore, if you don't have a test environment, and don't know how to set one up, then I would advise that coding this is not for you.  Without being able to test your races you will never be able to code them properly, and will always be relying on posts like these where you ask other people to fix stuff for you...

In your zzzz file, you have removed the translations file requirements, but have not updated the code that relies on the translations file.  For example:

Code: [Select]
SKILL_INFEST = War3_AddRaceSkillT(thisRaceID, "Infest", false,4,"5-20%");
SKILL_BLOODBATH = War3_AddRaceSkillT(thisRaceID, "BloodBath", false,4,"10-40");

Both of these lines require a translations file.

Do you have any races other than the default ones to look at?  This race looks like a (bad) mishmash of code copied from undead, naix and human.  Copying code isn't the end of the world, but if you don't know what that code is actually doing, then you're going to have a hard time moving forward.

I'd suggest SCRAP what you've done so far, and start again from scratch with a much simpler race, and try to code that yourself.

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
Yeah this was my first War3 "race" just trying to get a race to work so i know how everything functions. So then once i get how to throw "Fruit" and "salad" toghter I know what im going to get in the end. And i know how to mix and and what to expect? does that make sense at all? But I do have a way to test it with SRCDS But my main goal was to just to get it to work for 1 and figure out the translation problem iwas having. But I am going to start from scratch i just wanted to know HOW its going to look. And therefore recoding the whole code is not what iwas looking for iwas looking to a solution to that "Activate Skills" which i had found and now soon to test and make races from scratch.

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »
"In your zzzz file, you have removed the translations file requirements, but have not updated the code that relies on the translations file."
So i just need to find out how to Get a translation file and what it is. Can you possibly explain what that is because i'm stuck :(

Revan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
IMPORTANT:
lern basic pawn/sourcepawn first!

Pawn - Getting Started
Pawn - Language Guide
Introduction to SourcePawn

or in your terms:
So then once i get how to throw "Fruit" and "salad" toghter I know what im going to get in the end. And i know how to mix and and what to expect?
unless you don't know how to utilize a mixer you can't mix fruit & salad.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:42:52 PM by Revan »
#war3source on gamesurge

Ownz

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • chmod -R 777 *
    • View Profile
    • OwnageClan
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
one does not simply learn to code. He must know where to get resources and have the guts to read read read read (and fail)

the language guide (revan linked above) is the meat of sourcepawn, if you can't get through that, i suggest you not try to code.

remember, we can't always hold your hand

as to repeat from the "make a race thread" from the tutorial section

To get started making a race, you must meed ALL of the following REQUIREMENTS (yes its repetitive):
1 Know what sourcemod is.
2 Know how to compile a sourcemod plugin.
3 Know the sourcepawn programming language itself.
4 Know to use how sourcepawn/sourcemod to do specific tasks.
5 Able to create the race you are thinking of in a standalone plugin. This means that you are theoretically able to make a plugin that gives everyone the functions of that race without war3source, you demonstrate that you know how to hook events and set player properties.
6 You are not copy and pasting other races.

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »
"IMPORTANT:
lern basic pawn/sourcepawn first!

Pawn - Getting Started
Pawn - Language Guide
Introduction to SourcePawn"

I have already learned that from school. The only new thing is that I am defining variables with new , float instead of Char, String, Const, Double, ext.....
The only new topic was the last 3 paragraphs which i understand now. So i created a code yesterday of preset stuff. just to try to find out where each goes. but that is why i was asking for help on my only problem the "activated skills" besides that im ready to code from scratch!

Ownz

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • chmod -R 777 *
    • View Profile
    • OwnageClan
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »
so if you know a race (thats not a copy of a skill that already exists), try making one skill at a time. Do this in the programing section, not the submissions section.

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Ok but what I don't understand is When i was reading your guide. I dont know how to have the "skills" to work is there a big file that i need to use it as a path or what? because i cant really find any good explainations on that :c

Ownz

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • chmod -R 777 *
    • View Profile
    • OwnageClan
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
"
I dont know how to have the "skills" to work
clarify what you mean

As i have stated in the requirements, you should be able to make a skill without using War3Source at all. That proves you know how to program your race skills.

Sphinx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
So is there a libary i am exposed to use? like for teleport? what am i exposed to use that allows you to teleport. or like Spawning chronos circles like do i custom make the "skill" and the effects or is there a libary already made for sounds and colors and stuff?

Ownz

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • chmod -R 777 *
    • View Profile
    • OwnageClan
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »